Written and Created by PaperCraftCentral Susan
Glitter embossing is a lovely technique you can easily achieve with Heat & Stick powder and Dazzling Diamonds Stampin' Glitter. Here's how!
"All that glitters is not gold"
Making your projects special with glitter embossing is only a step beyond ordinary heat embossing. All you need is Stampin' Up!'s Heat & Stick Powder, a Versamark or Craft Ink pad, and a heat gun.
Oh and you need some glitter of course, and the cardstock you want to
add your image to.
Here I used Dazzling Diamonds, also from Stampin' Up!
to make a wedding image:
It's so hard to capture glimmer and shimmer on a stills camera, isn't
it? If any of you know how to help me capture this type of thing better
please say so!
Also, this image shows the glitter as being gold in
colour. It is really more silver, which I think I captured better at the
bottom of this page.
Anyway, on with the tutorial.
How to do Glitter Embossing:
To make this effect, just go one step further in the heat embossing process. It's really that simple!
Here are the instructions for using Heat 'n Stick Powder:
- Stamp an image with VersaMark ink or with your Craft Stampin' Pad. The ink will stay wet for a time so no need to rush this step
- Apply Heat & Stick powder to the inked image. Shake off the
excess powder onto a folded piece of scrap paper and funnel it back
into its container. You can set this aside till you are ready to apply
- Heat your image with the heat tool just until the powder turns
to liquid. Do not overheat at this point. You may like to heat the image from
underneath rather than on top, just to avoid overheating it. You can see the powder change into a liquid better if you heat the image from underneath.
- Pour Dazzling Diamonds onto the inked image, making sure that the image is coated completely
- Shake off excess glitter and funnel it back into the container
- Heat again briefly to set
Now you should have a nicely glittered and embossed image that you can add to a handmade card.
Changing the Colour of Dazzling Diamonds
Did you know you can change the colour of your Dazzling Diamonds a couple of different ways?
- Mix a little glitter with some ordinary embossing powder and use as above. This could allow you to make gold or black glitter embossing!
- Stamp your image in Versamark and coloured pigment ink, pour on Heat 'n Stick Powder and tap off the excess, use the heat tool to set, and then add Dazzling Diamonds before it sets, heating a little again to set in the glitter. The underlying ink colour will show through.
- Take a plastic container and plastic spoon, add some Dazzling Diamonds to the container, add a drop of Reinker ot the container, and work the colour through the powder till it is evenly coloured. Allow the glitter to sit for a couple of hours to dry out, stirring it through occasionally. Use as above.
If you have not tried this technique before, I hope you will play with
it now. If you do, please do share your project with me. I'd love to see
what you make.
Do You Have A Favourite Handmade Card to Share?
Do you make greeting cards? Please do share it with me.
Is this one a better image, or worse? Lol! Now I feel like an optometrist!
I think this one is more 'true to life' as the Heat 'n Stick powder with the Dazzling Diamonds creates more of a silver effect than the gold one shown above.
If you liked this tutorial, you may like to try dry embossing or other forms of heat embossing. You may also like to see how to get different effects with your embossing folders and Big Shot.
Glitter Embossing Tutorial